The MS Civil (Structural) engineering is a two year graduate program after BS Civil Engineering. The program spans over 4 semesters and consists of 30 credit hours (min). There is a research project in the last semester of the program in which the students apply their learning in consolidation. The program focuses on the attainment of excellence in structural engineering projects and thereby to deliver improved performance in project specification, design and construction. Closely aligned with industry’s needs, this MS aims to provide students with the knowledge and skills to equip them for a career in civil engineering.
The overall objective of the program is to provide advanced education and training for graduates in engineering to meet current and future needs of structural engineering in the region. The program emphasizes on providing engineers with an in-depth understanding of the technical, economic and managerial factors and their integration in the specification, design and operation of civil engineering systems. Graduate degree in Civil(Structural) Engineering allows one to expand his knowledge towards problem solving, accepting new challenges and playing his / her important role in the development of humanity. It increases the employment opportunities and allows one to enter the Civil Engineering practice in specific areas of expertise.
Completing this Program:
The duration of studies for MS degree shall normally be, not less than two years and not more than four years.
An MS Scholar will have to complete minimum of 30 credit hours by undertaking 24 credit hours course work from approved Scheme of Studies and 6 credit hours of MS Thesis. Core Courses for Structural Engineering include advanced structural analysis, advanced concrete technology, structural dynamics, and advanced design of reinforced concrete structures. elective courses include steel structural design, advanced structural mechanics, bridge engineering, seismic design of structures, pre-stressed concrete design, concrete repair and maintenance, earthquake engineering, finite element methods in engineering, special topics in civil engineering, advanced numerical analysis.
Thesis: Students will be required to submit and defend an original theoretical or practical research thesis.
Requirements to Earn Master of Science Degree
The MS degree consists of the following essential components.
- Prescribed course work
- Research and a dissertation
- A final oral examination
Application and Admission;
At CUI the admissions into graduate programs are offered on merit. the merit is determines on the basis of the academic record, GRE/NTS-GAT score and interview.
- A 16 years degree in civil engineering in relevant field from an accredited institution, with minimum First division (annual system) or CGPA 2.5/4.0 (semester system) and no third division (Annual system) or ‘D’ grade (semester system) throughout academic career.
- NTS GAT (General) with minimum score of 50.
- Providing Civil consultancy services to national and multinational companies.
- Providing Services in federal or provincial environment ministries or environmental protection agencies doing work with NGOs, international donors and development agencies such as World Bank, Islamic Development Bank, UNDP, UNICEF, etc
- Scientist in civil laboratories or certification companies.
- Engineering management in industry.
- Teaching and research.