The research center incorporates all aspects of research and development of medicines. The basis for the elucidation of mechanisms of action and the development of new drugs is the basic research that should be funded by the central structure. In addition to the interdisciplinary, cross- disciplines and faculties exchanging information, providing shared resources (creation and maintenance of core facilities) plays a crucial role. The results obtained from the basic research are to be quickly and efficiently implemented in the treatment and prevention of human diseases.
Finally, it is an important goal of the research center, to bring the newly developed drugs and therapeutic concepts to clinical applications.
The priority research areas of the center are:
• Identify new drug targets (Analysis of gene function, protein – protein interactions, modeling), development of selective small molecules for new targets;
• Targeted pharmacological modulation of signaling pathways (focus on membrane proteins such as GPCRs, ion channels and membrane-bound enzymes, kinases and phosphatases);
• Development of novel therapeutic concepts (focus on “chemicals” (“small molecules”): for example, allosteric modulation, dimer – specific therapeutics, drugs with a dual mechanism of action);
• Research and development of experimental therapies (Focus ” biologicals “), which are based on such stem cell – , RNA – and Nano – technology;
• Establishment of clinically relevant animal models for research into the causes of human diseases and for the in – vivo testing and validation of new active principles (systems biology, transgenic animals);
• Development of therapeutic approaches to overcome drug resistance, particularly antibiotics and cytostatics;